Le contenu de cette page nécessite une version plus récente d'Adobe Flash Player.

Obtenir le lecteur Adobe Flash

Le contenu de cette page nécessite une version plus récente d'Adobe Flash Player.

Obtenir le lecteur Adobe Flash

The Togo, formerly the Ville de Valence

The Togo was 75 metres long, 10 metres wide and had a tonnage of 1339 tons with a steam engine with two pistons and supplied with a sail, she was a three-masted schooner and she was sunk on 13 May 1918 by an Austrian submarine.

The depth :
From 56 meters

The accessibility :
Level 3

The diving conditions :
LThe difficulty is the depth because there is no current and visibility is very good.

la plongée :
La descente se fait dans le bleu, et petit à petit on le distingue, teinte marron qui tranche avec le sable blanc sur lequel il repose entier. Le bâtiment est relativement bien conservé, intact, mais dépouillé de ses instruments de navigation.
Le pont plat s’étend sur plus d’une dizaine de mètres en avant du kiosque. Le plancher à disparu en de nombreux endroits et laisse apparaître les bouteilles d’air comprimé, des tubulures, des vannes…
Le kiosque est fort bien conservé, mais a perdu son périscope, ses  instruments  de navigations, son armement, subsiste encore le support de compas. Le panneau de descente est encore ouvert ainsi que son  sas, mais attention c’est très étroit. L’ouverture à l’arrière par laquelle on pouvait entrer est aujourd’hui bouchée. C’est une plongée riche en émotion par la qualité de la conservation de l’épave, elle mérite le supplément du fait de son éloignement .

The history :
Launched in 1882, the Togo was built by Robert Thompson and Sons shipyard in Newcastle, England. Purchased by the Compagnie Havraise Peninsulaire, she was baptized Ville de Valence and used to transport citrus fruit from Spain. In 1906, the ship was sold to an Italian ship owner from Savona and, changing ownership, also changed name to Amor. Then the ship was sold to a new Genoese ship owner and, in 1912, was given the name Togo. At that time, the great steam boat was used to transport coal. She was built at a turning point in the fields of design and boat designing and had modern and innovative features: steel construction, with five bulkheads and a double hull.